There was no surprise as to who got the Number One seeds in the first Somerset County Tournament in two years.
Rutgers Prep (17-2) was awarded the top seed on the girls’ side, after a dominating run through the regular season, going 10-0 against the Skyland Conference and winning the Raritan Division title yet again, and going 7-0 against Somerset County opponents, winning those games by an average 51 points.
The Argonauts are ranked second in the state, but fell Sunday to No. 1 St. John Vianney.
The second seed went to Gill St. Bernard’s, while Franklin got the third seed and Watchung Hills the fourth. The top four seeds all get double-byes into the quarterfinals.
Rounding out the top eight, Bound Brook got the fifth seed, Hillsborough the sixth, Mount St. Mary was 7th and Immaculata took the eighth seed. They all get byes into the second round.
On the boy’s side, Gill St. Bernard’s (13-6) got the nod for the top seed, going 8-0 in division play, all in the Skyland Delaware. The Knights – ranked third in the state, but likely to drop after losing to 4th-ranked St. Thomas Aquinas Saturday night – have also been dominant in league and division play. They’ve beaten their six Somerset County opponents by an average of a shade over 36 points per game.
The rest of the top four seeds, with double byes each, went to Rutgers Prep at No. 2, followed by Watchung Hills third and Montgomery fourth.
With only fifteen teams in the tournament, seeds five through nine get a bye to the second round. The 5-seed went to Bound Brook, followed by Franklin, Ridge, Immaculata and Hillsborough.
First round games are played this Thursday, February 17th, with the second round on Saturday, the 19th.
The Tournament continues next week with the quarterfinals on Tuesday, the 22nd, semifinals on Thursday, the 24th, and the finals on Saturday, the 26th.
Girls’ SCT Schedule:
- 16-Manville at 9-Ridge, winner at 8-Immaculata, winner at 1-Rutgers Prep
- 13-Bridgewater-Raritan at 12-Somerville, winner at 5-Bound Brook, winner at 4-Watchung Hills
- 14-Bernards at 11-Pingry, winner at 6-Hillsborough, winner at 3-Franklin
- 15-North Plainfield at 10-Montgomery, winner at 7-Mount St. Mary, winner at 2-Gill St. Bernard’s
Boys’ SCT Schedule:
- 9-Hillsborough gets a bye, then at 8-Immaculata, winner at 1-Gill St. Bernard’s
- 13-Bernards at 12-Somerville, winner at 5-Bound Brook, winner at 4-Montgomery
- 14-Manville at 11-Pingry, winner at 6-Franklin, winner at 3-Watchung Hills
- 15-North Plainfield at 10-Bridgewater-Raritan, winner at 7-Ridge, winner at 2-Rutgers Prep