The JFK, Metuchen and South Plainfield girls’ basketball teams pulled off upsets Monday night to move on to the first round of the Greater Middlesex Conference Tournament.
The biggest upset by seed was 19th-seeded Metuchen knocking off 14th-seeded neighbor Edison 55-34 behind 15 points from Molly Malague and 12 from Cassidy Connors. The Bulldogs now get to face third-seed and White Division champion Colonia Wednesday night.
Also winning were 18th-seed South Plainfield, which knocked off 15th-seed Piscataway 48-28, while 17th-seed JFK won at 16th-seed Sayreville 43-16, after the Bombers won both regular season matchups by a combined six points.
- 9-North Brunswick def. 25-DDunellen, 58-32
- 12-JP Stevens def. 21 Highland Park, 59-37
- 13-Spotswood def. 20-Calvary Christian, 47-23
- 11-South River def. 22-Perth Amboy, 59-44
- 10-Woodbridge def. 26-Timothy Christian, 72-30
Here’s the schedule for Wednesday’s first round:
- 17-JFK at 1-St. Thomas Aquinas
- 9-North Brunswick at 8-Woodbridge Academy
- 12-JP Stevens at 5-East Brunswick
- 13-Spotswood at 4-Old Bridge
- 19-Metuchen at 3-Colonia
- 11-South River at 6-Middlesex
- 10-Woodbridge at 7-South Brunswick
- 18-South Plainfield at 2-Monroe