It was no surprise at all Friday morning when defending champion St. Joseph-Metuchen – No. 1 in the Bellamy & Son Paving Top Ten – earned the No. 1 seed in the upcoming GMC Tournament, which begins with first round play on Monday.
The top four seeds were Joe’s, followed by Monroe at No. 2, Middlesex third, and Old Bridge fourth. Monroe was the second place team in the GMC Red, while Middlesex Thursday clinched the GMC White Division outright, sweeping Woodbridge in a home-and-home this week.
Old Bridge was the third place team in the GMC Red.
Rounding out the top eight teams, Woodbridge – the GMC White runner-up – was picked fifth, while North Brunswick was picked sixth, East Brunswick was seventh, and South Plainfield was picked eight.
Overall, the Red Division got five of the top eight seeds, while the other three went to the White.
The rest of the 16-team main tournament field included South Brunswick at No. 9, followed by Spotswood, Colonia and Metuchen.
The last four teams in the main tournament were St. Thomas Aquinas at the 13-seed, followed by Perth Amboy, Edison and South River at No. 16.
The first-round matchups Monday are as follows:
- (16) South River at (1) St. Joseph-Metuchen
- (15) Edison at (2) Monroe
- (14) Perth Amboy at (3) Middlesex
- (13) St. Thomas Aquinas at (4) Old Bridge
- (12) Metuchen at (5) Woodbridge
- (11) Colonia at (6) North Brunswick
- (10) Spotswood at (7) East Brunswick
- (9) South Brunswick at (8) South Plainfield
The top seed in the GMC Invitational is JP Stevens, which will get a first round bye, with only 15 teams in the bottom bracket. The rest of the field, with matchups:
- (1) JP Stevens – bye
- (15) Wardlaw-Hartridge at (2) JFK
- (14) Highland Park at (3) Piscataway
- (13) Piscataway Tech at (4) Sayreville
- (12) Dunellen at (5) South Amboy
- (11) Perth Amboy Tech at (6) Timothy Christian
- (10) Somerset Tech at (7) Carterett
- (9) New Brunswick at (8) East Brunswick Tech