After all the consterantion and teeth-gnashing that sometimes happens in the room where the Greater Middlesex Conference holds its annual tournament seeding meeting, everything wend to chalk this weekend.
Out of 15 games total between the girls’ and boys’ tournament, the only upset was a mild one: 25th-seed Dunellen upended 24th-seed Somerset Tech on the road, 36-22.
All the other higher seeds won in both brackets. One change saw Mother Seton not participating in the girls’ tournament, which automatically moved 26th-seed Timothy Christian on to the preliminary round Monday, Valentine’s Day, as the Tigers will visit 10th-seed Woodbridge.
Below is the schedule of preliminary games this Monday and Tuesday, with the girls’ first round set for Wednesday and the boys’ first round scheduled for Thursday:
- 17-JFK at 16-Sayreville (winner at 1-St. Thomas Aquinas)
- 25-Dunellen at 9-North Brunswick (winner at 8-Woodbridge Academy)
- 21-Highland Park at 12-JP Stevens (winner at 5-East Brunswick)
- 20-Calvary Christian at 13-Spotswood (winner 4-Old Bridge)
- 19-Metuchen at 19-Edison (winner at 3-Colonia)
- 22-Perth Amboy at 11-South River (winner at 6-Middlesex)
- 26-Timothy Christian at 10-Woodbridge (winner at 7-South Brunswick)
- 18-South Plainfield at 15-Piscataway (winner at 2-Monroe)
- 17-Perth Amboy at 16-Middlesex (winner at 1-St. Thomas Aquinas)
- 24-Perth Amboy Tech at 9-Piscataway (winner at 8-Timothy Christian)
- 21-North Brunswick at 12-JP Stevens (winner at 5-South Brunswick)
- 20-Woodbridge at 13-Old Bridge (winner at 4-Monroe)
- 19-Metuchen at 14-Sayreville (winner at 3-Colonia)
- 22-Wardlaw-Hartridge at 11-East Brunswick (winner at 6-Edison)
- 23-Highland Park at 10-South River (winner at 7-South Plainfield)
- 18-New Brunswick at 15-Spotswood (winner at 2-St. Joseph-Metuchen)