Saturday’s opening round of the GMC Tournament saw three upsets, one of them huge.
16th-seed JFK, which lost its first 8 games of the season, won for a 7th time in its last nine games – dating back to May 6th – in upsetting top-seed and GMC Red Division Co-Champion Monroe, 5-4.
The other two upset were a bit milder. Tenth-seed Spotswood knocked off 7th-seed East Brunswick, but whether it’s really an upset is up for debate. The Chargers beat East Brunswick earlier this week in their annual Commander’s Cup game 6-5 in Spotswood on a walk-off double by Ty Lewandowski.
The other lower seed to win was 9th-ranked North Brunswick topping 8-seed Metuchen 3-2.
(16) JFK def. (1) Monroe 5-4
(2) St. Joseph-Metuchen def. (15) Old Bridge 4-0
(3) South Plainfield def. (14) Perth Amboy 11-1
(4) Middlesex def. (13) Colonia 8-1
(5) South Brunswick def. (12) Woodbridge 12-2
(6) Edison def. (11) JP Stevens 8-4
(10) Spotswood def. (7) East Brunswick 2-1
(9) North Brunswick def. (8) Metuchen 3-2
With the first round in the books, the quarterfinals are set for Tuesday at North Brunswick Community Park.
(16) JFK vs. (9) North Brunswick (King James Radio Network)
(4) Middlesex vs. (5) South Brunswick (Central Jersey Sports Radio, air-time 3:45)
(2) St. Joseph-Metuchen vs. (10) Spotswood
(3) South Plainfield vs. (6) Edison (Central Jersey Sports Radio, air-time 3:45)
Keep following Central Jersey Sports Radio as we’ll publish previews of the quarterfinals Monday and Tuesday.